Jaqui Lynch has more than 47 years of experience working with a variety of projects and operating systems across multiple vendor platforms, including mainframes, UNIX systems, midrange systems and personal workstations. She currently works as an independent contractor providing services that include enterprise architecture and PowerVM and AIX. She is primarily focused on POWER Systems virtualization with AIX and Linux. Her background has a strong focus on performance tuning, virtualization and security across a wide range of customer areas. Additionally, she regularly presents at IBM and other conferences around the world and writes for several magazines.
Jaqui's strengths are not just in the technical area but also in evangelizing the products and companies she works with. Her main strengths are anything to do with AIX Performance plus AIX and IBM POWER virtualization followed by security and Linux. She also has experience with architecting cross-vendor cross-platform environments. She has significant experience with POWER virtualization (PowerVM/VIO servers) in environments with Linux, AIX and IBM i and in installing PowerVM, AIX and Linux in those environments
SPectrum Scale (was GPFS)
Self-Employed since September 15, 2015
Systems Architect and Consultant
Primary focus - Power Systems Virtualization, AIX and Linux
Implementation as well as architecture for small to large IBM AIX, VIO server and Linux environments
Significant experience in AIX performance
Custom Performance studies for clients
Patching and securing systems for AIX and PowerVM (VIO server)
AIX, Linx and PowerVM health checks
Spectrum Scale (GPFS) Implementation and tuning
Consultant to multiple companies and IBM business partners
Have a sams.gov and DNB number
Flagship Solutions Group (now Cloudfirst) since November, 2015
Forsythe Technologies Inc. November 17, 2009 - September 15, 2015
National Solution Architect
Primary focus - Power Systems and Linux
Performed standard presales work such as design, analysis and configuration of solutions for clients
As needed, performed services work such as installations, security work or performance tuning and capacity planning.
Setup and maintained systems in the Forsythe BPIC (business partner innovation center). Prepared
resources for customer and other POCs (proof of concepts) and benchmarks.
Perform performance studies for customers.
Mainline Information Systems December 2002 - Nov 2009
Architect Power Systems and Linux (since May 2006)
Senior Systems Engineer pSeries and Linux (to May 2006)
Performed standard presales work such as design, analysis and configuration of solutions for clients
As needed can be requested to perform services work such as installations, security work or performance tuning and capacity planning.
Consulting July 6, 1999 - Nov 30, 2002
Various contracts including work for attorneys on computer forensics and investigation plan for computer crime case. Installation and performance tuning on Linux. Additional work for a Boston organization and a New York Corporation securing their AIX systems and implementing TCP Wrappers and Secure shell.
2 year Contract to assist and cover for current UNIX systems administrator. Contract included securing systems, implementing Year2000 fixes and upgrading DirectTalk voice response unit software. Setup and implement SP complex. Performance Tuning and Capacity Planning and evaluating products in this area. Primarily AIX but also some work with Linux and SGI. Additional work done on installing and configuring webservers as well as writing some web pages. Also extensive work installing and customizing DB2 UDB on AIX. Implementation of Websphere Application Server and HostPublisher across multiple systems. Work also done on computer forensics - tracing hackers and protecting against them.
Assisting with performance problems on Digital Unix. Also, a DASD market study for the distributed platforms and another for the mainframe.
Architect, redesign and build the new web site for a company who won a Fast 50 award.
Contract to implement security, AFS and SSH on AIX 4.3.3
Contract to speak on "Planning a successful implementation of DirectTalk and DirectTalk Voicemail" at the annual eCRM conference in Orlando
Contract to assist with strategic planning, capacity planning, and performance tuning. Job included Peoplesoft Performance Tuning and Capacity Planning (on AIX), a DASD Market Study, a Performance Tools Study and Memory Capacity Plan for Solaris Mail Server. Also installed SUSE Linux, WUFTP and the Apache web server on a development system.
BOSTON COLLEGE Apr. 1991- May 13 1999
Chestnut Hill, MA
Manager Systems Services Jan. 1995 - May 1999
Responsible for the management of all technical
services personnel, on both the academic and administrative
sides of the college. My staff consisted of nine systems
programmers who were responsible for more than 80 systems running
primarily OS/390, AIX, Windows NT, OSF/1 and VMS. We were also
responsible for the Operating System support on the SL100 telephone
switch. I was also Webmaster for several sets of World Wide Web pages including
www.circle4.com/jaqui, www3.bc.edu/callpath and www.cmg.org.
The day to day job involved managing staff, doing all capacity planning and
design work for the mainframe, SP2, UNIX and NT systems, designing the
infrastructure for future systems (i.e. designing scalable servers). Much
of the time was also spent on projecting costs, configuring systems and doing
Applications running on the SP2 and UNIX systems supported included:
voice mail, email, x.500, Oracle and DB/2 databases, SAS, IVR (voice
response unit apps), Netview, remedy, web servers, network computers,
peoplesoft and imsp.
I was also a member of the Callpath Users group Board and the GBCMG Board
and was the administrative chair for the 1998 CMG conference and the general
conference chair for the 1999 CMG conference.
- Managing a highly productive group of 9 systems programmers
- The last few months I also managed the DBAs
- Installed and setup a 6 node SP2 and an SMP (RS6000s)
- Installed and setup a second 7 node SP2 and interconnected them
- Upgraded the SP2 several times - it is now a 33 node SP2 running AIX 4.2.1 and 4.3.1 and PSSP 3.1 and 2.4
- Configured and managed 3494 robotic library installation
Consulting on DCE and Security to outside organisations
- System Administrator and Web Master on CMG's HP & BSDI systems
- Implementation of 16000 user voice mail system using Directtalk on multiple SP2 nodes plus various upgrades to those systems.
- Planning, preparing for and installing equipment to be used for distributed and
- client/server systems - includes all configuration, capacity and performance planning
- Implemented TCP/IP across all platforms and integrated the IBM mainframe system
- with the campus network.
- Implemented the OSF/DCE environment on RS/6000s and PCs for the College.
- Upgraded the mainframe from MVS/XA to MVS/ESA, plus many product
- Used specialist Knowledge to help tune VSAM files for the college.
- Oversaw many mainframe hardware and software upgrades
Manager IBM Systems Apr. 1991 - Jan. 1995
Responsible for the management of the Administrative systems
programming group and some technical work on the IBM 9672-R31
running MVS/ESA, several RS/6000s running distributed systems
including the OSF DCE environment, and various Pcs and Macs. My
staff consists of three systems programmers. I am also responsible
for all of the performance and capacity planning on the mainframe and
Contractor/Temp Dec 1990-March 1991
Secretarial typing for engineering firms. Programming in C on
Silicon Graphics UNIX systems
Senior Systems Engineer, Hitachi Data Systems Nov 1987-July 1990
- Responsible for pre and post sales support for processors.
- Designed and ran training classes on MVS, VSAM, CICS and
Networking for customers and setup and ran part of the software
awareness training for hardware engineers, including MVS internals.
- Performance analysis and capacity planning for customers.
- Disaster Recovery specialist.
Systems Consultant, Self Employed Apr. 1987-Nov. 1987
Contract Technical Services Manager at NZ Railways with 6-8 staff.
CICS systems programming.
Senior Systems Consultant, Computer Sciences NZ Feb. 1985-Apr. 1987
Various contracts in the computer industry that included:
- Manager Technical Services at Dept. of Labor (3-4 staff, 15 months)
- Consultant helping set up Chase Manhattan Bank in Australia (3 months)
- Contract performance Consultant on the Hogan Umbrella at Databank
NZ (8 wks)
- CICS and MVS systems programmer at Bank of NZ (7 months)
Senior Systems Programmer, Dept. of Statistics Oct. 1983- Jan.1985
Installation and maintenance of DOS/VSE and VM. Network support.
Senior Systems Programmer, Trustbank Feb. 1983-Oct. 1983
Installation and maintenance of DOS/VSE.
Senior Systems Programmer, Cumberland Computer Center Feb. 1977-Feb. 1983
- Two years as a programmer, then 4 as a systems programmer.
- Responsible for the IBM mainframe and networking, plus the 3790s.
- Implemented the first MSNF network in the country for the NZ government.
- BS Computer Information Systems May. 1994, State University of New York
- BA Philosophy May 2007, Benedictine University, Lisle, IL
- NYIP (New York Instititute of Photography) Professional Course (Completed 2002)
- NYIP (New York Instititute of Photography) Advanced Professional Course (Completed 2004)
- NYIP (New York Instititute of Photography) Digital Course (Completed Aug 2007)
- MA in Philosophy at UIS - Thesis on Ethics in Virtual Worlds(May 2011)
- NYIP (New York Instititute of Photography) Currently working on Travel Photography Course
Other Work Interests:
- Technical writer for IBM Systems Magazine and Enterprise Technical Journal
- Member of HTCIA (High Technology Crime Investigators Association) and CUISP.
- Speaking and Training engagements
- Member ACM
- President of CMG from December 2003 to December 2005 (on board till end 2007)
- On the International board of CMG from December 1995 to December 1997, again from December 1998
until December 2002, Jan 2006 to Dec 2007
- Founding member of New Zealand CMG (1987-1990)
- On the CMG National Conference committee (1993-1999,2002, 2006).
- General Conference Chair for the 1999 and 2002 CMG National Conferences.
- Administrative Chair for the 1995 & 1998 CMG National Conferences.
- Web Master for CMG (1995 - 2002), DCE Users group and GBCMG
- Member of the IBM Executive Client/Server Forum - 1994 & 1995
- Founding Board member of GBCMG - 1992-1999
- Chair of the MA DCE Users Group - 1994 - 1997
- Previous Member IEEE and AWC
- Taught online safety over the internet 2001 - 2005
Copyright © 1997-2000 Circle4.com All Rights Reserved.
Last updated February 29, 2000
Site by Circle4 Web Design